Friday, December 07, 2007

'Tis the season...

Call me weird, but I like Christmas. I don't care for the religious celebrations of the infant baby Jesus in swaddling clothes, but I don't care that Christmas has become a time when the stores declare a financial jihad on shoppers either. I freely admit it: I like tinsel. I like Christmas carols, especially the corny ones. I like the whole bright, shiny baubles and bangles thing that is Christmas. I like the smell of real Christmas trees everybit as much as I like gaudy plastic ones festooned with angels and golden orbs.

What I don't like about Christmas is the increasingly vocal Political Correctness police whining about Nativity scenes being displayed in shopping centers. Their suggestions that such scenes might possibly offend non-Christians are, to put it politely, so friggin' stupid as to defy belief. Now, while I don't profess to have any religious viewpoint whatsoever, I'm not afraid to speak up in defense of Christians should the occasion call for it. While trying to ban Nativity scenes is hardly throwing Christians to the lions, it is an occasion to speak out.

Let's for a moment consider the sub-text of the PC police. When they say, "Non-Christians might be offended by Nativity scenes" the non-Christians they refer to are specifically Muslims so, what they're really mean is "Muslims will be offended". In other words, the PC police reveal their own prejudices against Muslims. By presuming Muslims will be offended, they're revealing a deep-seated prejudice that Muslims living in the west are intolerant. Perhaps some are, but no more so than the knuckleheads in the west who try to speak on their behalf.

There was also a recent case in my part of the world where a store Santa was sacked for, apparently, chanting the familiar Santa war cry of "Ho ho ho!" Now, maybe I'm missing something, but WHO THE HELL COULD POSSIBLY BE OFFENDED BY "HO HO HO"? Trailer-park trash? Seriously, clearly some people need to step off their broomstick high-horses and spend a bit of time in the stables of reality shovelling shit that really matters: like poverty, for example.

Sheesh!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home